Mauna Kea Farms, LLC (Pa’auilo, Hawai’i)
The clients were seeking a farm system that yields a healthy diversity of organic, nutrient dense food and medicine, while also improving the ecological integrity of the parcel as a whole.
Following are some of the clients’ other aims:
- We cultivate economically viable agricultural commodities that thrive at our site, but that cannot easily be grown elsewhere on Hawai’i Island. Importantly, we help increase the food self-reliance of Hawaii, by catering our food crops to the nutritional needs of Hawai’i’s resident population.
- The maturing farmscape is increasingly resilient to the effects of climate chaos.
- We increase farm self-reliance as much as possible.
- The farmscape serves as an inspiration and benchmark for encouraging current and future residents in the subdivision to be ‘āina minded land stewards.
- Our home is a beautiful sanctuary for relaxation and enjoyment to share with family and friends.
- Food + Medicinal Garden
- Biological Orchard
- Home-scale Nursery
- Riparian Habitat Restoration
- Shiitake Mushroom Log System
- Initial Site Assessment (PDF)
- Goals Summary Statement
- Site Analysis Summary
- Slopes Analysis Summary
- Design Concepts (2ct)
- Final Master Plan
- Farm Implementation Timeline
- Multipurpose Plant Palette
Pezzella Residential Nīnole, Hawaiʻi Island An ecologically informed landscape design for a residential parcel in the Nīnole Sea Cliffs Estates subdivision overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This project minimized landscape maintenance by transforming a sloping hillside...
Kahoʻokele Residential Volcano, Hawaiʻi Island The design concept for this residential project was tropical highlands gardens from around the world. An important biome globally, tropical highlands can be found in Africa, South/Central America, Asia, New Zealand,...
11th Street Volcano, Hawaiʻi